Kale Massage Technique and six fun tips!
Updated: Jul 6
Follow my blog on BlogLovin’
As one of the top superfoods, kale should be favored more than avoided because of its nutritional benefits (Vitamin K) as it provides a textural change from spinach and lettuce when used in salads (check out my PomBerry Kale Spinach salad here), bowls, or cooked meals. Transform kale from dull to sublime with this easy massage technique and take note of these top 6 tips for best results.
1 Bunch Curly Kale (about 8 stems)
1/8 tsp Sea Salt
1.5 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Wash kale leaves to remove any particles or pesticide residue, then pat dry. Remove kale from stems by angling the stem downward, with one hand holding the end of the stem and the other gliding the kale down the stem in one motion (while gently holding both sides of the kale as it goes down). Chop and place in a large bowl.
Add salt and 1 tsp onto the leaves. Add ½ tsp onto 1 palm, rub palms together and place both hands into the bowl as you begin massaging the leaves. Massage first in handfuls to distribute the oil and then onto individual leaves, ensuring that the oil touches both sides.
You can now use the kale for raw (salads, bowls) or cooked meals!
Here are 6 fun ways to remember the key steps to the massage technique:
1. Use Curly kale - it’s more common and thus less expensive;
2. Don’t skip washing – washing your leaves beforehand removes any particles or pesticide residue that may be remaining;
3. Salt matters – Don’t skip the salt as this mineral kills bacteria and any remaining residue from the leaves;
4. Massage it like you mean it! Ensure that you massage each leaf gently with the oil as we’re softening the texture without losing nutrients;
5. Shine is gold – When you’ve noticed a moist look and feel, rather than the whitish appearance at the bottom of the leaf, then you know you’re massaging well;
6. Wilted to perfection - You’ve done it right if your kale leaves start to look wilted and feel soft rather than its original rough texture.
Tip: You can also massage using lemon for added flavor and if you want a light and simple salad with no dressing.